That stress is a serious problem i shown by the following figures derived from Stressforeningen in Denmark
- 430,000 Danes have severe stress symptoms every day. This is roughly 12 % of the population.
- Up to a quarter of all sickness absence is caused by stress. This corresponds to 35,000 Danes off sick every day.
- Between 250,000-300,000 Danes suffer from severe stress.
- Stress costs society 14 billion DKK a year in the form of sick days, premature deaths and costs to the health service.
- Stress is to blame for a million days of absence per year, 30,000 hospitalisations, 3,000 early-retirement pensions and 500,000 inquiries in general practice every year.
- According to WHO, stress will be one of the most important causes of illness in 2020.